At times depression causes us to retreat and pull away. Family and friends may not understand or know how to help. It can be hard just leaving the house, let alone socializing. Support from close relationships is an important part of fighting depression, but connecting can be tricky.
On MyDepressionTeam, the social network and online support group for those living with depression, members talk about a range of personal experiences and struggles. Maintaining a social life is one of the top 10 topics most discussed.
Here are some conversations about having a social life:
• I don't have many friends in the real world but as lonely as I often feel, I struggle to maintain contact with the few friends I have, let alone making new friends.
• I’ve been up all night. I tried to go be social but I sat in a room full of people feeling utterly alone.
• Going hiking with friends and their dogs. Just maybe I can smile just a bit for everyone with depression.
Here are some question-and-answer threads about maintaining a social life:
• What do you say if you’re at a social event? I have social anxiety and could use some ideas on things to talk about.
• What do You do when you are nervous when out? Have anything you wear or use?
• I need help to have a social life. Any ideas?
Can you relate?
Have another topic you'd like to discuss or explore? Go to MyDepressionTeam today and start the conversation. You'll be surprised just how many others may share similar stories.
Feel free to ask a question here.