My faith tradition states as it harms none, do as you will, so as long as I don't seek to cause harm as they caused me, I feel fine in not forgiving.
March 30
Love the AI answer. Some people will never get my forgiveness, and that's ok by me. I don't waste any time thinking about whether I should or not. What's done is done.
March 30
Do you struggle with forgiving past abusers?
This is an incredibly difficult and deeply personal challenge that many people with depression face. Struggling with forgiveness of past abuse is completely valid, and there's no "right" timeline or requirement for how you should feel.
It's important to remember that Show Full Answer
Do you struggle with forgiving past abusers?
This is an incredibly difficult and deeply personal challenge that many people with depression face. Struggling with forgiveness of past abuse is completely valid, and there's no "right" timeline or requirement for how you should feel.
It's important to remember that forgiveness is a personal choice, not an obligation. Your healing journey is about you, not about absolving someone else. Some people find peace through forgiveness, while others find strength in setting boundaries and moving forward without it.
What might help:
- Working through these feelings with a therapist who specializes in trauma
- Remembering that healing doesn't require reconciliation with your abuser
- Focusing on your own growth and recovery rather than what others "deserve"
- Recognizing that it's okay to end toxic relationships permanently
If violence or safety concerns were factors in your past, consider seeking support services when it's safe to do so. Your wellbeing and safety come first, always.
Many MyDepressionTeam members have found that talking through difficult feelings with trusted friends, family, or professionals helps validate that their emotions are normal and that they're not alone in their struggles.
March 30
My main abuser was my dad. He passed away he caused me a lot of physical & emotional abuse. My mother who I haven't spoken to in 21 years caused me alot of emotional among other types of abuse. I have forgiven both of them. But I have decided to move on with my life.
March 31