Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyDepressionTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyDepressionTeam Member asked a question 💭

Is it a matter of finding what pill combination works best for you as a person, like trial and error, to find what ones treat a persons mental illness the best?

December 24, 2022
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyDepressionTeam Member

Trial and error. From my experience, prozac (an SSRI) made me gain a significant amount of weight in around one year, so I decided to get off of it, and then I lost all the extra weight in 6 months, plus 15 extra lbs, which was hard but I did it, so be wary of that potential side effect. Some psychiatrists seem more open to trying different medications until you find the right one, and plan to give each med time to see if it works. Also, let them know early if you don't want to be on medication for the long-term. I started medication thinking it'd be a short term solution and now it's been about 2 years on them, which is longer than I imagined but my last psych reassured me this is normal so I'm trusting her word, but I'd still one day like to get completely off of them.

December 25, 2022
A MyDepressionTeam Member

There's a DNA test that you can get that will show what drugs would work best for you. I don't know anything about it though. Ask your psychiatrist if he/she has heard of it. Or maybe others on here have heard of it.

December 24, 2022
A MyDepressionTeam Member

That is interesting about DNA that can help determine what would be right. I know that we have been through alot of trial and error to make a difference.

December 24, 2022
A MyDepressionTeam Member

It is definitely trial and error. You'll have to try different medications to see which works best for you. Stay as positive as possible. There's always hope.

December 24, 2022
A MyDepressionTeam Member

Whatever works best for you

December 24, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyDepressionTeam Member asked a question 💭
Dayton, OH

A MyDepressionTeam Member asked a question 💭
Northern, NJ