Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyDepressionTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I have had some weight gain with my medications. This has made me more depressed. I had gastric bypass 3 years ago and don't want to gain any weight. The thoughts of gaining weight will make me not want to take my medication for fear of the weight gain.

January 3, 2017
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyDepressionTeam Member

I am on generic Zoloft. It stabilizes my mood a bit and has not affected my weight. I'd ask a doctor, because medications affect everyone differently but most don't have a significant impact on weight anyway. In addition, try regular, low impact exercise. Not only will it help you lose weight, but it is also a great antidepressant as well. :)

January 3, 2017
A MyDepressionTeam Member

I'm on lithium and abilify. They don't make me gain weight.

January 4, 2017
A MyDepressionTeam Member

I am on Abilify. Gained 50 lbs in one year. Can't get it off. I finally joined Weight Watchers and am losing weight slowly, about 1/2 lb. a week.

January 4, 2017
A MyDepressionTeam Member

I can understand that. Plus gaining weight can trigger depression, so the treatment can make it worse. I find psychiatrists trivialize weight gain as a concern. I don't have any answers.

January 3, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyDepressionTeam Member asked a question 💭
Glasgow, UK

A MyDepressionTeam Member asked a question 💭
Wrexham, UK